Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Youth Conference

     Due to school assignments and Young Women's projects I am a little behind on my blog posts.  Almost a month ago, June 23-25, my ward went to Youth Conference.  It was so much fun and I was glad that I went.  At the beginning of the year I was debating not going because I needed to work and save up money for school next year.  Due to the other Young Women leader's schedules I ended up going and loved every minute of it. 
     We stayed at Payson Lakes Campground for the weekend.  Thursday morning we met and drove to the campground, got everything all set up, and then left for Manti.  Instead of going all the way back down to the freeway the men decided to take the dirt roads down the other side of the mountain.  It was a beautiful drive but the GPS kept taking us to dead ends and when we found the road that we needed, it was still closed due to the snow that was still up there.  We did end up finding another road that took us down.  When we finally got to Manti, about 2-2 1/2 hours later, we went and ate a delicious turkey dinner at one of the stake centers in Manti.  After dinner we went to the temple to hang out till the pageant started.  The pageant was great and I think that the youth really enjoyed it.  After the pageant we headed back to camp.  We took the freeway back this time and arrived back at camp about 2:00 in the morning.  Everyone stayed awake and we didn't have any problems with deer!  I was really worried about driving back to Payson that late at night.   
     Friday morning we slept in, got up and had breakfast, had a devotional, then headed to the lake for some team building activities. 
     I think the team building activities was the highlight of my weekend.  The first activity that we did was a Trust Fall from a picnic table.  I was really suprised how willing the youth were to participate in this activity.  I even did it!  I just don't have a picture of it to prove it.
Tiffany
Zoie pushing her mom off the table. 
The next activity was to get all the youth balanced on a pallet that was on top of a broken cinder block. 
 They were all on it and balanced for about 3 seconds then it broke. 
The next activity was my favorite.  We split the youth up into groups of 3.  The object was to get their whole group across the grass while only having 2 hands and 1 foot touch the groud.  It was entertaining to see the ways they tried to accomplish this. 
                                                          Steven, Preston, and Seth
Abbie, Tiffany, and Bailey
 2 of the Young Men leaders and a member of the Bishopric decided to try.  They were very creative and so funny to watch!  People walking by were looking at them like they were crazy. 
Their crashes were the best!
After watching everyone try for awhile me and another Young Women leader decided to try.  We grabbed Zoie and we made it all the way across!  Again, no pictures to prove I did it though. 
 The next activity was the above picture.  I can't remember what it was called.  We had two groups at a time race across the grass on these ski things.  They really had to cooperate to all move the right leg at the right time. 
     My camera batteries died after this and I didn't have anymore for the rest of the weekend.  After the team building activities we played in the lake for a while.  I worked on homework during this time while soaking up the sun.  When everyone was done playing in the lake we headed back to camp and hung out and relaxed.  We played a good game of Signs with all of the youth and some of the leaders.  Talk about some major confusion!!!  I think a couple times 3 people were passing the sign all at once. 
     Dinner that night was super yummy.  A member of the Bishopric had his wife, sister-in-law, and father-in-law come up and cook us a dutch oven dinner.  Sweet and Sour Chicken, Cheesy Potatoes, and Cobbler.  I need to get some dutch ovens and learn how to cook with them.  I think dutch oven food is my favorite.  After dinner the Bishopric did a devotional and we spent the rest of the night around the camp fire telling stories and jokes. 
     Saturday morning we woke up, had breakfast, packed everything up and left camp.  We were home by 12:00.  I loved that we came home early so we had the rest of the day to put things away and do what we needed to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment