Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Rocking Adilynne to Sleep

     I want to remember all the little things about Adilynne that I can while she is growing up.  Last night I had a moment with her that I want to remember.  At 2:40 am I woke up to her crying and talking to herself.  I stayed in bed for a few minutes to see if she would go back to sleep on her own but it wasn't happening.  I got up to check on her and when I walked into her room she got all excited and gave me a big smile.  I found that she had wiggled out of her blankets and was probably cold.  I wrapped her back up, gave her the binkie and a kiss and went back to bed, hoping that she would fall asleep.  Fifteen minutes later, right as I was starting to fall back asleep she started crying again.  I went into her room and she had gotten one of her arms out of her blankets again.  I covered her with the blankets and gave her the binkie then got back in bed.  Fifteen minutes later she was crying again.  She had wiggled out of her blankets again and I decided that she wasn't going to go back to sleep on her own. 
     To preface all this, last night I had Young Women's.  I put Adilynne down for a nap about 4:30 pm and told David to wake her up about 6:00 to feed her.  David ended up falling asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until 7:00 and had a hard time waking Adilynne up to feed her.  She wanted to be out for the night.  So because of her long late nap she was wide awake at 3:30 in the morning.  I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night with her for almost 3 months!  I told David that the person that let her nap too late should be the one getting up now to take care of her.  He just grunted and rolled over.
     I changed her diaper then wrapped her up in the blankets and decided I would probably only get her back to sleep by rocking her.  I grabbed my Kindle and headed out to the family room to rock her.  I was planning on reading while I rocked her hoping that the time would go by quicker while she fell back to sleep.  I was really annoyed that I was the one up in the middle of the night with her when David was the one that let her sleep too long in the evening.  After a few minutes of reading and having her be wide awake I decided to put a Jim Brickman Christmas CD hoping the music would calm Adilynne down faster so I could get back to bed.  I sat back down and continued reading and all the sudden I thought to myself, "What are you doing?  Enjoy this time that you have to hold and rock Adilynne back to sleep!"  I always hear parents of older children saying they wished they would have spent more time holding their children while they were young and I don't want to have that regret someday.  I put down my Kindle and watched Adilynne look so intently at me with those big loving eyes.  I soon became grateful instead of annoyed for the chance that I had to rock her and comfort her at 4:00 am.  I enjoyed the Christmas music playing in the background as I watched Adilynne's eyes getting heavy and as she eventually gave in to sleep.  Once I was sure she was in a deep sleep I took her back into her crib and went back to bed myself. 
     Even though I had to be up in the middle of the night I was very grateful for the chance that I had to hold her and love her.  I am so grateful to be her mom and be able to stay home with her daily.  My love for her grows daily.          

1 comment:

  1. Whit I love this story! I can't tell you how many times I have experienced the same thing - calling myself out when I realized that I should enjoy every second I have with Brindslee. You are such a good mom!!!!

    ReplyDelete